Prospective Students

Get Connected With Our Office

Interested in meeting with us to talk about educational barriers and reasonable accommodations in college? Just follow these steps below:

  • Complete the Request for Accommodations Form online and provide any available documentation of a physical or mental health concern that creates a barrier to access. 
  • Schedule a meeting with us: You can email us, call, or visit our office at 258 Kirby Student Center to schedule an appointment. Appointments are available in-person, by Zoom and by phone and last approximately 45 – 60 minutes.
  • You could plan a day visit to UMD and meet with us the day before or after your campus tour or orientation date. We recommend the day before, but the day after is fine too.
  • You could wait until the start of the semester to meet with us. We can usually get you started with some accommodations if you don’t have documentation as well. 

Please understand there is no immediate hurry to get connected with our office before the actual semester begins, but there are some circumstances when you should contact us before the semester. Please contact us very early if you are interested in accommodations related to housing or dietary needs, and alternate format texts.

Common Accommodations Available 

Listed below are the most commonly requested accommodations.
Specific barriers to academic inclusion are discussed with students,
and other accommodations may be provided on a case-by-case basis.

  • Exam/quiz accommodations: extended time or quiet environment
  • Reading accommodations: audio books, e-text, text to speech software
  • Note taking accommodations
  • Classroom accommodations
  • Interpreting
  • Accessible Technology
  • Housing & Dining accommodations

Admission Requirements

All students must meet UMD’s admission standards. If you have special circumstances, including the impact of disability on your education that you would like us to consider, please submit a letter with your application explaining what you would like us to know. Your application will be reviewed by both our office and Admissions staff.

What are the differences between high school and college?

 High school                                           College

The case manager and or parent act as the student’s advocate.

The student is their own advocate.

(IDEA) Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act

(ADA)  Americans with Disabilities Act / 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973

Accommodations and modifications are communicated to the teachers by the case manager.

Students must request accommodations and provide professional documentation.  

Services are delivered to the student.

Students must request accommodations at the college’s disability services office.

The school informs the parents of the student’s progress.

The school cannot communicate with the parents without the student’s permission.

There are regular meetings to discuss the student’s progress.

Students are responsible to monitor their own progress and seek assistance as needed.

Services may include individually designed instruction, curriculum modifications, and accommodations based upon the IEP.

Only reasonable accommodations are available based on professional documentation.

Teachers approach you if they believe you need assistance.

Professors are usually open and helpful but most expect you to initiate contact if you need assistance.

IEP/504 Plans are implemented and followed.

IEP/504 plans expire when you go to college.