Accessible technology (AT) can be used by people with a wide range of abilities and disabilities. It incorporates the principles of universal design. Each user is able to interact with the technology in ways that work best for him or her. Accessible technology includes any piece of equipment, product or system that is used to improve the functional capacities of people with disabilities.
Technology Available at UMD
- Read and Write Gold - text to speech software program. R&WG is available as a free download to all currently enrolled UMD students, faculty & staff.
- JAWS - screen reader
- Dragon Naturally Speaking - speech to text
- ZoomText - screen magnifier
- Duxbury Braille Translator
- Livescribe Smart Pen - electronic recording device
- FM Listening System - sound amplifier
- 22” Widescreen Monitors
- CCTV - camera to enlarge print
- Sorenson Video Relay Service
- Braille Embosser