Accessible technology (AT) can be used by people with a wide range of abilities and disabilities. It incorporates the principles of universal design. Each user is able to interact with the technology in ways that work best for him or her. Accessible technology includes any piece of equipment, product or system that is used to improve the functional capacities of people with disabilities.
Technology Available at UMD
- Read and Write Gold - text to speech software program. R&WG is available as a free download to all currently enrolled UMD students, faculty & staff.
- Glean note taking
- JAWS - screen reader
- Built in Dictation software on all computers
- Dragon Naturally Speaking - speech to text
- ZoomText - screen magnifier
- Duxbury Braille Translator
- FM Listening Systems - sound amplifier
- 22” Widescreen Monitors
- CCTV - camera to enlarge print
- Braille Embosser
UMD Disability resources has also created this comprehensive handout called Assistive Technology for Everyone - featuring many free or low cost accessible technology apps and programs - check it out!