Documentation Guidelines

Documentation Guidelines

What do you mean when you ask for documentation of a disability & why does Disability Resources need it?

Documentation is confidential information from a qualified professional that is knowledgeable about your condition. This might be a therapist, doctor, rehabilitation counselor, audiologist, nurse practitioner, or mobility specialist. Documentation can vary in length and format, but should focus on the ways the condition currently affects you---especially in an academic environment.

Your Disability Specialist uses documentation to better understand your experience of the condition, identify impacts in an academic setting, and make informed decisions to determine reasonable accommodations.

  • IMPORTANT: Please note that you should not delay meeting with us out of concern for not having the right paperwork. Each specialist will discuss specific third party documentation needs during the initial meeting and steps you can take after the meeting. Our first priority is meeting with you, not reviewing the paperwork.
  • Reminder: if you are approved for provisional accommodations, this is temporary. Provisional accommodations are limited to one semester only in order to allow students time to submit documentation and/or work with a provider to identify a diagnosis. Students with provisional accommodations sign the Provisional Student Agreement acknowledging accommodations will not be renewed without documentation. It is the student’s responsibility to provide the documentation before subsequent terms. 

What are some examples of acceptable & useful documentation?

Acceptable documentation will be in PDF form and include the following: 

  • Student name
  • Provider name & title, clinic/practice name
  • Date
  • Diagnosis  

Commonly-used types of documentation:

  • Statement/letter from health or other service professional
  • PDF form of after-visit summary from a health or service provider
  • Psych-educational evaluation
  • Neuropsychological assessment
  • Mobility assessment
  • Individualized education plan (IEP)
  • 504 Plan
  • Vocational Assessment
  • Information on previous use of accommodations
  • UMD DR Disability Documentation Form completed by your provider

How do I get the documentation to Disability Resources?

You or your provider can:

  • Email it to our office at [email protected]
  • Fax it to our office at (218) 726-6706
  • Bring a paper copy to KSC 258 (please note, we do not keep paper copies on file, so make a copy before submitting)