The Grievance Process

The Grievance Process

Disability Resources (DR) is committed to ensuring that the educational opportunities and other programs and services at UMD are accessible and inclusive to students with disabilities. A student would use this process if concerned that DR-approved accommodations have not been implemented in an effective or timely manner, or when they have concerns about DR’s provision of services. 

  • The process starts with DR staff working to resolve concerns and communicating decisions and responses to the student.
  • If the issue is not resolved, the student begins The Grievance Process Steps (below). 
  • If the issue is not resolved through The Grievance Process, the student can then choose to file a grievance (step 3 of The Grievance Process Steps).

Sharing a Concern with DR

  • Students are expected to contact DR as soon as possible if reasonable accommodations are not being implemented in an effective or timely way. If students delay reporting concerns, it can impact remediation.

What students can expect of DR when they report a concern:

  • Disability Resources will promptly respond to verbal or written notification from students concerned about their DR-approved accommodations and/or the provision of services through DR. 
  • DR will communicate in a timely fashion with students and instructors about relevant circumstances, including the complexity of an accommodation and the schedule of the course, program, service, or activity in which the student is participating. 
  • DR will contact the instructor, teaching assistant, housing staff, facilities management, or other relevant parties to attempt to resolve the issue. 
  • If DR is not able to remedy the situation by communicating with these parties, DR will contact the appropriate department administrators to discuss implementation of DR-approved accommodations. 
  • If the DR-approved accommodation is still not implemented, DR will direct the student to follow the grievance procedures set forth below.

The Steps of the Grievance Process:

grievence proccess

If a student with a disability believes that they are not being reasonably accommodated or has concerns about the services provided by Disability Resources:

  1. The student will begin by communicating concerns to their Disability Specialist. The Disability Specialist will work with University personnel and students with disabilities to resolve disagreements/issues regarding recommended accommodations. The Disability Specialist makes a decision and communicates that decision to the student. Most concerns can be resolved at this level.
  2. If the student is unable to resolve the concern with the Disability Specialist or is dissatisfied with the result, the student may meet with Meryl Lucchesi-Freyberg, Director of Disability Resources (218-726-6101, [email protected]). The Director will make a decision and communicate the decision to the student. 
  3. If the concern is not resolved, the student may contact UMN ADA Coordinator Enjie Hall via email at [email protected] to discuss concerns and consider filing a grievance. 
    1. The ADA Coordinator is the final reviewer. This is the last step of the Disability Resources internal process. 
  4. If the student is dissatisfied with the result, they may contact UMD's EOAA Associate and Title IX Coordinator, Corey Christensen, via email at [email protected], via phone (218) 726-8809, or through the UReport online form.
  • If an instructor believes a student is not being reasonably accommodated, the instructor also may follow 1-4.

Concerns of Discrimination

If a student believes they are being discriminated against on the basis of disability, the student is guided to report discrimination.

  • If the student believes a university employee has discriminated against them, students can contact UMD's EOAA Associate and Title IX Coordinator, Corey Christensen, via email to [email protected], via phone (218) 726-8809, or through the UReport online form

If the student believes another student has discriminated against them, students should consult with Chris Kaberline in the Office of Student Conduct & Conflict Resolution via email at [email protected].