What is the biggest difference between high school and college?

In college, students are responsible for their own education.  The student plays an active role in the accommodation process, from requesting disability accommodations, to explaining the impact of their condition, to talking with faculty members about accommodations.  

Accommodations are designed to remove barriers and ensure access; success is the responsibility of the student. Please visit our Prospective Student page to learn more.

What are the most commonly used accommodations?

Accommodations are individualized and made on a case-by-case basis.  We consider the student’s strengths and limitations, as well as the nature of classes selected.  Commonly used accommodations include test accommodations, reading accommodations, note taking accommodations, assistive technology, and sign language interpreting.

Accommodations made to a course should never compromise course objectives or diminish academic standards.

How do I request disability accommodations?

After you have been admitted and have registered for classes:

  • Complete the online Request for Accommodations form.
  • Make an appointment to meet with a disability specialist as early in the semester as possible.  
  • Provide a copy of your disability documentation.
  • Be ready to talk about how your disability diagnosis impacts you, and your strengths and limitations as a student.
  • Your disability specialist will work with you to consider your classes, the impact of your disability diagnosis, and your strengths as a student to develop a plan for accommodations.

Will using accommodations go on my academic record?

No. Using accommodations does not go on your academic record. Disability Resources records are kept separate from all other academic records.

What kind of documentation do I need?

Documentation is confidential information from a qualified professional that is knowledgeable about your condition. This might be a therapist, doctor, rehabilitation counselor, audiologist, nurse practitioner, or mobility specialist. Documentation can vary in length and format, but should focus on the ways the condition currently affects you---especially in an academic environment. Your disability counselor can guide you in how to get current and complete documentation if necessary.

I need accommodations to my meal plan.  What do I do?

UMD recommends that students with severe food allergies or medically restricted diets who wish to live in campus housing choose an on-campus apartment as their preferred living arrangement.  Students who live in campus apartments are not required to select a meal plan.

Students assigned to the residence halls are required to enroll in a meal plan.  All foods served by UMD Dining Services are produced in a common kitchen where all top 8 allergens are present. While Dining Services makes every effort to avoid potential cross contact, we cannot guarantee any food is 100% allergen free.

Most food allergies or intolerances can be managed independently. Contact Tom Linderholm, Assistant Director of Culinary, if you plan to dine on campus with a food allergy. He can provide you with information about the menus, recipes, ingredients, and food preparation methods. He can also help you navigate the existing dining options and provide you with the resources you need to make a meal plan work.

E-mail: [email protected]

Are accommodations available for on-campus housing?

Requests for accommodations in on-campus housing are considered on a case-by-case basis.  To learn more about the process for requesting housing accommodations, call Disability Resources at 218-726-6130.   

Is flexible attendance ever a reasonable accommodation?

Flexible attendance may be a reasonable for students whose disability history and current documentation provide a rationale for this accommodation. Attendance accommodation decisions are made on a case-by-case basis and consider the student’s history, documented condition, and input from faculty members about essential course requirements.

Accommodations made to a course should never compromise course objectives or diminish academic standards.